Wednesday, September 4, 2013

About Me

Hey everyone,

            My name is Dylan Gavin and this is my seventh class at National University. I am in the process of getting my Single Subject Teaching Credential and am in the Master’s track as well. I graduated college from the University of Oregon in 2012. I played baseball there and was confident that professional baseball would be my next step after graduation. Because I was so passionate about baseball, I didn't put a lot of thought into what I wanted to do after college (besides baseball). I ended up getting a degree in economics with a minor in business administration.

When the dream of playing professionally ended, I decided to get away from the game of baseball and entered the business world. I felt confident that I could do any profession if the money was right. However, after three long months of cold calling I found out that this simply wasn't true. I decided to return to running the summer camps that I loved and took some time to think about what I really wanted to do. After the summer, I took a part time job and decided to work as an assistant baseball coach at Cabrillo College.

Coaching baseball at Cabrillo College was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It taught me how to enjoy the game of baseball again and reminded me of how much I enjoyed working with adolescents. Coaching baseball led me to wanting to become a teacher. I think that the two professions are extremely similar and can see why many people end up doing both. I started the baseball team’s study hall and ran it twice a week throughout the year. I also started  the Santa Cruz Baseball Academy which ran twice a week as well.

From the variety of ages that I have worked with at baseball camps, I decided that I want to teach high school students. I am in the process of becoming a math teacher. I think that math can be directly applicable to student’s lives and I can’t wait to start teaching students. I am picking up a lot of really effective teaching strategies and am excited to start using them in the classroom. I have already started incorporating many of the strategies I have learned from this program on the baseball field. 

This fall I am about to start substitute teaching. I am very excited to begin, and look forward to an adventure packed fall. The Cabrillo baseball team started this week and we are looking strong to win back-to-back conference championships. I should be able to start student teaching this spring and can’t wait for it all to get under way.  

            Well that was all about me for now. I look forward to learning about everyone else!





Best wishes,

Dylan Gavin

1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Dylan! Athletics does so much for people!

    ReplyDelete